Friday 26 July 2013

TIPS: HAY FEVER HELP

Hello! Now we are in the height of our summer we are enjoying the warmer weather and venturing outside a lot more, but this comes with a problem for some of us: HAY FEVER!

I have been suffering from hay fever my whole life and I have it ALL. YEAR. ROUND. which is pretty annoying as it makes you feel quite ill sometimes. 

Obviously it is generally worse in the summer though and especially this summer, as our year has been a bit different to the usual seasonal changes..

Our long and late cold weather and sudden 180 into the oven that is now our summer, here in the UK, has meant that pollen and hay fever have acted differently this year. Basically there are different kinds of pollen such as grass pollen and tree pollen and the different types of pollen start blowing up our noses at different times of the year, usually.. but the longer cold weather meant that some pollen that is usually release earlier wasn't released until the hot weather sprang up on us, along with ALL the other pollens! This has meant that even people who don't usually feel the effects of hay fever that badly, or at all, have had symptoms. 

For me, it made life particularly miserable for the first few weeks of the warmer weather and I didn't even want to go outside to enjoy the sun because I was being made to feel SO ill from hay fever! 

And then, one day when I had had quite enough because that morning I had taken my tablet, eye drops, nasal spray AND liquid medicine and this combination wasn't having ANY effect as I was literally sneezing constantly. I was so frustrated and sick of feeling like I had a horrid cold and not being able to breathe that I was ready to try anything. 

This desperation led me to discover a very neat trick that relieved me of my symptoms INSTANTLY, and it was so simple. Salt water.

Yes, for the past couple of weeks once or twice a day, or as I need it, I have been taking a pinch of sea salt and washing it down with glass of water. No joke, it is my saviour from hay fever. It isn't the most pleasant thing in the world but it isn't awful and if it works, I don't care!

I have still been taking my tablet once a day as well, but I find they NEVER last anywhere near 24 hours, so this little remedy has been amazing. 

I was dreading going on my camping holiday, as you can imagine, that would have been hay fever HELL if it wasn't for my new trick!

I think a big part of it is making sure you are drinking plenty of water, I definitely find if I am keeping on top of my hydration throughout the day that my hay fever symptoms don't tend to bother me, so keep this in mind!

I really hope this helps some of you, as hay fever is a really horrible thing and now hopefully you can all enjoy the heatwave without being overly worried about having tissues close to hand (or nose) or sneezing until you have a headache!


No comments:

Post a Comment