Monday 6 January 2014

CROMWELLS, SHREWSBURY.


Dinner. There is nothing I love more than food, whether that is cooking it or going out for meals. This time it was the latter and it was a corker. Charlie and I were in my hometown, Shrewsbury for New Year and his birthday is also on New Year's day, so we decided to have a nice meal out. I haven't been in Shrewsbury much for the past couple of years so didn't really know where was good, but after a few recommendations and popping in for a nosey, Cromwells looked promising. 


We chose to eat in the wine bar as it looked the same as the restaurant but with more of an atmosphere. The service was really good, efficient and friendly, if a bit kooky, which I actually quite liked. Now, onto the food...

To start we both had the garlic and broccoli soup, it came out bright green with a decent amount of bread and some nice butter. It was spicier than I thought it would be, which made me enjoy it all the more.

For our mains Charlie went for the burger which came with the most amazing thick cut chips. They were crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and huge - they were practically roast potatoes in a chip disguise, which I thought was amazing as roast potatoes are my fave. I went for the pan fried breast of barbary duck, which is served rare with a chive mash, carrot, chilli and onion marmalade and fondant carrots. Each part of this meal was outstanding. I was really excited to see chive mash on the menu as I love it, I was recently disappointed elsewhere when the chive mash came out and was just regular ash with a few chives sprinkled on top. But this chive mash was the real deal, proper full on green chive mash! Perfect. The duck was delicious, and I thought it was good that the waitress told me before that it would be rare and that I could have it well done if I preferred, which I actually don't - I much prefer the taste when it's a little bloody. A mouthful of the duck with the marmalade was an other-worldy experience, I want to experience that taste every darn day it was so good! We also went for a side of onion rings, which I don't usually like - I just find that no one gets it right when it comes to onion rings, there is either too much onion or none at all and most of the time they go soggy, but these were actually fantastic. That batter was perfect and reminded me of seaside sumer holidays.

Last up, the puds! By this point I was pretty darn full and I'm not really a pudding fan but we were celebrating and going all-out! I had a lovely individual vanilla cheesecake that came with the nicest ice cream I've had in ages. Charlie went for the special option of 3 huge profiteroles.

Absolutely amazing all round experience and Charlie even said it was the best thing he had eaten since we had the best food of our lives cooked by Gizzi Erskine about a year ago - very high praise! It was pricey but totally worth it! If you are looking for somewhere to go in Shrewsbury I'd highly recommend Cromwells.








No comments:

Post a Comment